MATTY$B!G(BS TEACHING APPLICATION & QUESTIONNAIRE
This nature of questioning is acceptable in
Please type or print.
FULL NAME: NATIONALITY: AGE:
DATE AND PLACE OF BIRTH:
PLACE WHERE YOU WERE RAISED:
Attach a recent photo RELIGION:
here SEX: MALE / FEMALE
MARITAL STATUS: NO. OF CHILDREN:
HEIGHT AND WEIGHT:
APPLICANT$B!G(BS PRESENT ADDRESS: TEL: FAX:
APPLICANT$B!G(BS HOME ADDRESS: TEL: FAX:
NAME OF COLLEGE OR UNIVERSITY PRESENTLY ATTENDING OR GRADUATED:
MAJOR: TYPE OF DEGREE RECEIVED:$B!!!!!!!!!!(B
EXPECTED DATE OF GRADUATION:$B!!!!!!!!!!!!(BTHE DATE GRADUATED:$B!!!!!!(B
can you come to
The initial application process takes a few months. If you need to know sooner, please indicate here.
Do you have a valid passport?$B!!!!!!(BIf yes, please write the expiration date:$B!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(B
Do you have a Japanese Visa? If yes, what kind and the expiration date:
you are in
Have you ever been to Japan?$B!!(B
If yes: 1) Where: 2) Reason: 3) Duration:
In case of an emergency where to call and what is the relationship?
FATHER$B!G(BS NAME: AGE:
ADDRESS: Phone No.:
MOTHER$B!G(BS NAME: AGE:
ADDRESS: Phone No.:
LIST NAMES AND AGES OF BROTHERS AND SISTERS:
Do you have friends or relatives in
Name: Relationship: Where to live: Phone No.:
PLEASE ANSWER THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS BRIEFLY:
Why are you applying for
this position? Please rank (from one to
seven) the choices below, according to your preference.
( ) To mix with Japanese people.
( ) To make money.
( ) To learn the Japanese language.
( ) To learn about a particular aspect of Japanese culture. e.g. flower arranging
( ) To travel.
( ) To gain actual experience in teaching English.
( ) Other.$B!!(BWrite in detail.
Please rank (from one to
six) your teaching preference and explain the reason why you selected your
( ) Pre-school
( ) Elementary (Grades 1-6)
( ) Junior High School (Grades 7-9)
( ) Senior High School (Grades 10-12)
( ) College
( ) Adult
Please rank your
preference (one to three) from the choices below and explain the reason you
selected your first choice.
( ) Japanese house shared by teachers ( ) Apartment for yourself ( ) Japanese home-stay
Do you smoke?
Do you drink alcoholic beverages? If yes, how often?
Is there any food you
cannot eat, because of your religion or any other reason?
Do you get hay fever? Are you allergic to anything?
Certain foods? Animals? Tobacco? Other?
Do you have any health problem? If yes, please explain:
Have you taken a Teaching
English as a Second Language (TESL) course or could you take one before coming
Do you have a teaching
license? If not, when will you be receiving
Why would you be a good
teacher of English as a second language?
10. In your opinion, what is the major difference
between teaching English to children and to adults?
11. What experience have you had working with
children? Please elaborate.
12. Please describe your character strengths and
weaknesses. The use of examples would be
13. Please list all the group experiences you have
had in which you were a leader and responsible for a group. Indicate length of time you held the
14. How many years do you wish to work for our school? Please check one of the following:
( ) One year ( ) Two years ( ) Three years
15. What sort of monthly earning do you expect
from your new job ?
16. Do you have a valid driver$B!G(Bs license? How many years (months) have you
Have you had any penalties and/or tickets within the last 3 years?
If yes, for which of the following and how many times?
accident ( ) parking ( ) speeding ( )
Are you willing to drive on narrow Japanese roads in heavy traffic?
17. Have you had any law suits? Do you have any law suits pending?
If yes, for what reasons?
18. Are you working now? If you are working, approximately
what is your monthly earning?
Do you have a
If so, until what date is your contract binding?
19. Do you have a hobby or any special interests
20. List your last three places of employment, the
duration and names of your supervisors and their telephone numbers.
21. Have you ever done volunteer work?
If yes, list the work you have done and the duration.
22. Do you have any debts to repay?
If yes, how much are your monthly payments?
23. What are your career goals?
24. Please answer the four hypothetical questions below.
A. Suppose you are a teacher and in the midst of the semester your parent or a close relative has suddenly taken seriously ill. A letter comes from your parents asking you to return home within three weeks, which of the four choices below would you choose? Please write the reason(s) for your choice.
1. Return home immediately.
2. Return home at the end of three weeks.
3. Return home as soon as a replacement is found, but within three weeks.
4. Delay your return until replacement is found.
B. You have signed a contract to work
for one year at a school, but
have been offered work elsewhere with a 50% higher salary. Supposing all other conditions were the same,
what would you do? Choose one from the
examples below. Please write the
reason(s) for your choice.
1. Keep the present job.
2. Move to the job with a higher salary.
3. Ask for a raise and leave if the raise is not given.
4. Ask for a raise, but even if the raise is not given, stay on at the present job.
5. Give some period of notice and leave.
C. A young student wanted to gain working
experience during the summer and applied to two first class Japanese
companies. For the same number of hours: Company $B!F(BA$B!G(B offered him $83 per month while
Company $B!F(BB$B!G(B offered him $1,000 per month.
1. Company $B!F(BA$B!G(B is right and $B!F(BB$B!G(B is wrong.
2. Company $B!F(BB$B!G(B is right and $B!F(BA$B!G(B is wrong.
3. Both companies are right because each has the right to offer whatever wages or conditions $B!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(Bthey so desire.
4. Both companies are wrong.
D. How would you deal with cultural
differences you might encounter? For
example, finding out that your homestay father expects the homestay mother to
serve him tea and other food, and you are asked to serve tea also. Please choose one or more and briefly
1. I would change my way of thinking to what the Japanese people think.
2. I would probably try to explain my thoughts, but not my way of thinking. Then I would accept
the Japanese way because I am in
3. I would insist my way of thinking is correct for the present situation, and I would not accept the$B!!(BJapanese way of thinking.
4. I would probably feel irritated that the Japanese person did not share my view.
25. Have you ever studied a foreign language?
Which language, when and for how long?
How well can you speak it?
( ) fluently ( ) fairly well ( ) some ( ) only a little
26. Can you project your voice for 4 or 5 hours a
day, five days a week without getting laryngitis?
Is your voice ( ) strong ( ) normal ( ) weak?
27. In order to concentrate on studying, do you
like to keep a room quiet like a library or, do you prefer to listen to music
while you are studying?
( ) I like to study in a quiet room.
( ) I like to listen to music while studying.
28. How did you learn about MATTY$B!G(BS
University placement office ( )
Friend ( ) Please write name:
Former MATTY$B!G(BS Teacher ( ) Please write name:
29. Among many language schools why did you apply to Matty$B!G(Bs?
31. Are you interested in such an
arrangement? Yes ( ) No
The applicant have to
make an arrangement with EMU and MATTY$B!G(BS to receive the above benefit prior to
or within one month after joining MATTY$B!G(BS.
Otherwise, this benefit will not be applied.
b) MATTY$B!G(BS does not guarantee acceptance to the
EMU Master program.
c) While MATTY$B!G(BS encourages applicants to enroll in the EMU Masters program, the answer to this question will not affect your chance to gain employment with MATTY$B!G(BS.
On receipt of this application, we will send you more complete information about the school. The reason we have you complete this question prior to sending our information is to assure your unbiased responses. Thank you.
Signature of the applicant:
Remarks: Please attach your resume, school transcript, and a photograph taken within the last six months. If you are unable to immediately send some of the above mentioned items, please send them as soon as possible. However, if you have already sent some of the items mentioned above, it is not necessary to do so again.
All the material you send us now and in the future is treated confidentially, but it will not be returned to you.
When you e-mail, please be sure that you write in the subject $B!H(BMatty$B!G(Bs Application Form$B!I(B otherwise it will not open.
046-865-8717 FAX: 046-865-0406 E-MAIL: